Pages

Sunday, September 27, 2009

Children


I think children are adorable. They are innocent creatures. They don't deserved to be dumped like trash, scolded or yelled at. Sometimes mothers claim that they carried their children for 9 months, so they have the rights to scold their children. However, children have voices, too. Those voices want to be heard.

I have small cousins. They are sisters. Sometimes, we call them the 'Power Puff Girls' because there are three of them. Their parents got a divorce when the oldest girl was only 3 years old. The youngest was not even born yet. During that difficult time, my aunt and those girls lived with us. Later, we moved to Germany and they continued to live at our house. My older sisters were also there.


My aunt was busy. She had a lot of things to handle. Sometimes she had to leave her children at home. The girls cried for their mother. My eldest sister did not want them to cry. She wanted them to be quiet. What she did was, she locked one of the girls in the room with her. She would not let her out unless she kept quiet. Her intention: to teach the girl a lesson. My sister said she wasn't being mean because she didn't leave the girl alone. She was actually with her in the room. Second thing, she was just trying to teach her not to cry for her mother all the time.

Then there was me. I loved to buy them things. Sometimes, when I went out and saw cute things, I thought of the girls. That's why I bought them things. I also loved to hug and kiss them. My sister said I was spoiling them. I don't think it's spoiling. They deserved to be loved. I still love to hug and kiss them, eventhough the oldest girl is already 12. What's the surprise? I still kiss my 'baby' brother who is almost 14!

A few years back, when my sister just came back from the US, we went to visit my aunt and the girls at their new home. My cousin was not herself. She was quiet. I was surprised. I asked her why. She said "nothing". Then, my sister went to the toilet. My cousin suddenly became her own self again. When she heard my sister coming out of the toilet, she kept quiet again. Then my sister stood exactly behind my little cousin. She became terrified. I could see it in her eyes. I don't know how my little cousin would feel now because my sister hasn't seen them ever since. So, was my sister's 'parenting' all worth it?

No comments:

About Author

This is myvoice. Things written from my point of view.