Pages

Friday, December 19, 2008

Aimi's 19th Birthday

Irina and Me on my 14th birthday

June 25th, 2008 was the day I turned 19. This would be my last year as a teenager. I don't know why but I like to mention that.

12am in Malaysia or 6pm in Germany, I received a text message from the guy I have feelings for. When I got the message I was in the movie theater watching 'Iron Man'. This is the first year that he remembered my birthday. In fact, he just knew my birth date. Then, when I was still sleeping I received a few more messages. This year's birthday was also one of the few years that my old friend, Ili wished me. It's actually easy to remember my birthday. It's Christmas in June. If you love Korean artists, just remember 'Rain'. He has the same birth date with me. My eldest sister loves him.

Back to my 19th birthday. I received birthday wishes from my siblings, of course, my A-level classmates, my father and also my Indonesian step mother, whom I call Mamah. She said "Happy 20th Birthday!". I was obviously not very happy, since I'm so proud of being a teenager. I told her that I was 19. She apologized and said that my Papa told her that I was 20. I texted my father, "Papa, I'm just 19". He replied, "I'm getting old".

That day, I promised to meet Irina at 9am. Chun Chun had school, but she said that she might be released early. If she did, she would call Irina. So, as early as 9am I went to meet her. She gave me a hug and wished me. A few days earlier, I asked her to read the month July in the diary I gave her for her 18th birthday. I wrote about my parents' divorce. I didn't want to tell her on the phone and in the emails. I wanted to tell her personally because I didn't want her to worry about me, since she had problems of her own. I was supposed to meet her on Monday but she couldn't make it. She sent Chun Chun instead and asked her to tell me that she was mad. So, I was worried for a few days. This was the day, I saw her after that. She was not mad. She was just wondering why I only told her almost 3 years later.

Then, we went to her place. Chun Chun called to tell that she was coming, too. I was so happy. Not long after that, Chun Chun came with a cake she made. Irina made each of us tea and we began to celebrate. They sang for me, of course. The butterfly shaped cake with cream and fruits Chun Chun made was delicious. Then it was the presents time. Chun Chun gave a lovely card, a lip bloss because she saw how dry my lip was; how sweet, a small jewellery box and a white scarf. When she met me on Monday, she asked if I had a white scarf. I said "yes", but I was wondering why she asked that out of a sudden. Then, I knew.

My cake
Irina, Me and Chun Chun

My boyfriend cooked a nice meal for me. His mom called from work to wish me. Then she came home with 3 slices of cake for us to eat together. That was sweet, too. In the evening, my boyfriend and I went for a theatre. It was Shakespeare's 'What You Will'. I didn't quite get the story, but some of the actors looked like rockers and the overall acting was awesome. I enjoyed it.

That very same day, team Germany played against team Turkey at the Euro cup. Everyone was worried of what would happen after the match, since there are a lot of Turkeys living in Germany. They were scared that there might be fights. By the end of the Shakespeare's play, the actors and actresses bowed and they kept showing 3 and 2 with their fingers. When we went out, the TV showed the end of the game. At the train station, on the screen; which usually tells the time the train arrives, was the final score. Germany 3, Turkey 2. The night was crazy. In the bus, the driver warned the passengers not to act crazy. However, on the road other drivers were acting crazy. Everyone honked for no reason. Well, they were just happy that Germany made it to the finals. I was so tired that I went straight to sleep after that. I didn't even write in my diary. Well, that was the end of the day I turned 19.

No comments:

About Author

This is myvoice. Things written from my point of view.