Pages

Friday, May 8, 2009

Gotcha?!

For those who are not Malaysian and do not listen to Hitz.fm morning crew, 'gotcha' is a prank call done by the DJs of Hitz.fm based on your request. I think it's very obvious that the word 'gotcha' comes from the phrase 'got you', however, 'gotcha' is now used as a noun, an adjective and a verb in Manglish.

When Izzat wanted to leave for Melbourne in 2007, Shang Hui requested for a 'gotcha' call. He was quite excited to do that. But, it never happened. Maybe, because he requested for it too late or the DJs didn't pick his request. So, since Shang Hui is leaving for Paris now, I thought that we could request for a gotcha call. On Monday, I told Fatina and Izzat, the idea. We discussed on how we could pull the prank on Shang Hui. Fatina asked Shang Hui the name of his school and Izzat suggested that we say that his application was declined. So, I went to website and wrote a brief essay on why and how I wanted to prank Shang Hui. Fatina said maybe it would not even be chosen.

The next morning, Ean (one of the morning crew DJs) called me. I was actually awaken by the phone call. He sounded cheerful, "Aimi, how are you?". Then he asked for Hui Hui's phone number. My voice must have sounded awful. Then, I called Fatina to tell her about this. Later, there was another phone call. This time it's from a private number. I was actually waiting for them because Ean said he would call back. There was a man on the other line. He spoke Malay to me and he sounded serious. I thought to myself who is this? It was Ean again. After he said his name, I began laughing and JJ was also laughing in the background. They said "just want to scare you". This time they asked when he was leaving and whether we could speak French. Then, I told Izzat. He was like "so this is really happening".

Then, I went out with Fatina and Farahin. When I came back, I saw a message from Shang Hui on my MSN. He said "Aimi..haha". I thought it was because of what I wrote on my MSN. Then, I received an SMS from Farahin saying that Shang Hui had already been pranked. No wonder he was laughing when we called him before that. Shang Hui said that he knew all along. This is no fun. Farahin said "Hui Hui is too smart to be pranked".

I still haven't heard the gotcha on radio. But Shang Hui has told us all about it. He said they told him that his visa had to be suspended because he could not speak French. He had 2 choices, either to stay in Malaysia or get French tuition. So, they taught him some basics. But, there was a word with hitzfm in the end. That's how they gotcha him.

I listened to Hitz.fm the next morning to know if it was aired. But, it wasn't. There was a birthday prank. The morning after that, a girl who thought that she would never get a gotcha call was gotchad. I was thinking, will I ever fall for them if I were being gotchad? I mean it is obvious how they sound like. Am I on target because I've gotchad Shang Hui? What if I were gotchad on my birthday? That would not be fun.

5 comments:

kanonehilbert said...

hahhaa would you be gotch on your birthday? "P hahah who knows muhahaa XD

ohh yeah i love the gotcha...it was fun muahaha thankx hehehe

yummyamy said...

im super shocked that they chose your request actually. i simply just asked u to send it with no hope that it'll get chosen and whatnot but it did and it is soooo cool!

i know and its kinda sad that shanghui knows. why shanghui why??! haha

and i heard ur gotcha already!!! it was awesome shanghui! what's with the whole boat thingy?! haha. i recorded already so u guys can listen to it when we meet. yay shanghui!

yummyamy said...

and thanks aimi for calling me today abt the gotcha thing!

fell asleep but managed to catch it and dun worry now, hui2's gotcha ish on my phonnneeee!! XD

JJ said...

We played the Gotcha today. Hope you heard it... thank you for listening..

ps: it's really me. I found your blog by going to www.blogsearch.google.com and typed "morning crew hitz fm" . Yes I google myself sometimes.. :)

Cappy said...

OMG~~!! JJ commented on Aimi's blog~~!

SQUUUUUUUUUUUEEEEEEEEEEE~~~! <3

About Author

This is myvoice. Things written from my point of view.