What is an engagement? What is it for? Why do people get engaged? I see an engagement as an 'in between' because when you're a someone's fiancee, you are neither the boyfriend/girlfriend nor the husband/ wife.
My cousin on my mother's side just got engaged yesterday. I was there. She looked beautiful and happy. The future husband seemed nice. When my aunt (my mother's eldest sister) called me to invite me to the engagement ceremony, I asked myself why don't they just get married? The wedding is in July which is just 2 months away. I don't see the difference between her getting engaged two months before the wedding and her waiting another two months to get married straight away.
Another cousin of mine which is on my father's side is going to get married this July. When I met him in January, he told me what he has planned. He said he is going to get engaged the morning of the wedding and get married in the evening. I was like "WHAT?! What for? You're just wasting your money for an extra ring and so on". My elder sister and I were arguing about the engagement thing. My cousin became speechless for a while. Then he said, "Save it. I already have the ring". Then we shut up. If you ask me, I just think it's stupid. But, I know him. I know he is a responsible person and knows how to manage his money well. So, I think he knows what he's doing.
I still don't understand why people get engaged, when they can just jump from being a boyfriend/ girlfriend to a husband/ wife. I think it's useless and a waste of money. There are things in life which are not meant to be understood, especially when they come to relationships. That's why I prefer to not get involved in a relationship.
1 comment:
hmm yeah i do agree with you though...however in my opinion, i think engagement is practice as a form of tradition and culture.
In the past engagement is done between two couples as a form of "promise" and "commitment". it is like a proposal and both parties' family need to agree with that, and after engagement both parties need to start preparing themselves ,sort of like taking some time to tune into a next stage in their life
Meanwhile,the engagement is done so as they are given sufficient time(a month or two) to prepare for their big day (invitation, preparations etc).(as you know getting married in the past is one of the most important day in the life and you dont want things to go wrong on that day right)
During engagement it is like a probational marriage, the couple will be put on test to see if they can sort things out together. on top of that, during engagement if either party realize they are not mend together, they can actually just call off the real marriage.
Post a Comment