Pages

Thursday, February 19, 2009

What We Do Is Secret

'What we do is Secret' is a movie I watched during my 'IT, Mass Media and Society' lecture. Zan loves to show movies since he's a movie director. He said we can learn a lot of things by watching a movie.

The movie is about a punk rock band in the 70s and early 80s called 'the Germs'. The story is basically about their journey as a band. How they start out, find their members and the best thing is that none of them know how to play any instruments. The singer's singing is almost like shouting. So, I guess that's why people don't even notice that they can't even make music.

When the movie started, I already knew that someone would die. Well, it's the rock and roll world and someone dies in the end. Shane West plays the lead singer, Darby Crash. In case the name sounds familiar, Shane is Landon Carter in 'A Walk to Remember'. The guitarist is played by Rick Gonzales. He acts in 'Reaper'. I don't watch 'Reaper' but I saw him there before. I really like his character in the movie. He is the calm one compared to Darby who likes to do extra ordinary things.

How is the title significant to the movie? I feel like answering literature question in secondary school. Well, in my opinion, I think it is because of Darby's sexuality. He is gay! I can't believe a rocker dude can be gay. Anyway, I think none of his band members knows it. They think he is just friends with the guy. Once, when the drummer is late, he takes his 'boyfriend', who can't play the drums to be the drummer. When the drummer suddenly shows up before the show, he just kicks the 'boyfriend' out. So, I guess that's why the band members don't realize that he and the other guy are more than 'just friends'. Therefore, the title is called 'What We Do Is Secret'. Somehow, I think the title should be 'What I Do Is Secret' because the whole story centers more on Darby.

I guess people can predict the ending. Darby Crash dies. Well, it's based on true story anyway. He commits suicide. He does not do it alone. He overdoses his friend as well, but she survives. It is not shown in the movie that she survived. Before the real Darby Crash died, he tried to write 'Here lies Darby Crash' on the wall, but did not manage to finish. That part is also not shown in the movie.

Another cool thing is that 'the Germs' are back. They are back on tour and they took Shane West to be their front man. The weird thing is that Shane is in his early 30's and 'the Germs' members are in their late 40's and early 50's. There are about 20 years gap between them. So, it is like touring with your mom and dads.

If Zan wants to know what I have learnt from the movie, well, I think anyone can start a band. If Darby Crash can form a band which had no music background and be known, anyone can. Anyway, they managed to release only 1 album before he died.

1 comment:

yummyamy said...

bestnye dapat tgk movie during class! XD i wish i get to watch a movie during my classssess-.-

About Author

This is myvoice. Things written from my point of view.